Friday, August 19, 2011

Around the house projects...

This has been a busy week here in the country.  Yet another section of yard has been converted into garden bed.  This time, not so many rocks, but lots of roots to dig up.  I think I would rather have the rocks.  Digging & pulling these roots is really hard work, and still they poke through the earth.  We will be adding compost to te bed to give it some depth for the veggie roots to grow.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the huge cedar stump in this section...maybe a planting table.  I really don't want to have to dig it out. 

Also, in preparation for heating season, I built a 2' x 4' x 3' box near the back door to store kindling & tinder so we don't have to make so many trips to the wood pile.  As usual, I used some OSB left over from building the extension and only had to buy a set of hinges for the lid.

Here's the big one...We picked up a generator today for backup power for short term outages.  By short term I mean up to a couple of weeks.  It's a 6500w (7800w peak) unit that will be running the well pump, 2 fridges and a deep freezer.  The idea is to run it for a couple hours at a time a couple times a day.  During this time, we will boost the temps in the fridges & freezer, fill up water containers, & charge batteries & laptops.  Also, anything we need at that time will be up and running (high speed internet modem comes to mind).  Weather permitting, I will set it up and get it running tomorrow and post a few pics.

I'll be discussing these projects in more detail on the show this Sunday at 9PM central on Prepper Podcast Radio Network.  Be sure to listen & call in with comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment